ArrayFire (Free version) license issue

[Old posts from the commercial version of ArrayFire] Issues and comments for download and installation. Getting up and running.

Moderators: melonakos, pavanky

ArrayFire (Free version) license issue

Postby leafeaterx » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi,

I have currently installed the free version of ArrayFire (nightly build) along with the Cuda toolkit and driver version 4.1. I'm running this on a Macbook Pro (Intel Core 2 duo 2.93GHz, 8GB RAM) with an Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB RAM graphics card. I made sure to set the environment as well. I have tested that CUDA is successfully installed as well. I'm able to compile any example in the arrayfire directory; however, when I try to execute the examples (ex. ./hello_world) I get the following output:
src/gena/gi_core.cpp:36: error: src/license.cpp:384: af_base license not found in specified license source (<unknown>)

Now, back in January I actually tried a 15-day trial of the ArrayFire Pro, which I was able to run all the examples and my own codes that I had written. I'm curious if the previous installation of the trial of the Pro version is now interfering with my now free ArrayFire installation on the same hardware. By this I think it's looking for the local license.dat file instead of trying to connect to the internet and use the concurrent network license. I removed the old version of ArrayFire simply by trashing and placing the new folder in the home directory, as I think that ArrayFire is self-contained. Also, I have run this with the firewall off, so there is no closing/opening of ports that's an issue. Thank you

leafeaterx
leafeaterx

Re: ArrayFire (Free version) license issue

Postby malcolm » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 am

Hi leafeaterx,
This is a poor error message on our part, and I'm not completely sure what's causing it.

Is it possible that the old license file is sitting around, and that's what it's pulling from? Check for any arrayfire.lic (or .arrayfire.lic) file lying around. (to search filesystem: "sh$ locate '*arrayfire.lic*'").

Do you have environment variables LM_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_PATH in use for MATLAB or other Flex Licensed applications?
James Malcolm (malcolm@accelereyes.com)
malcolm

Postby leafeaterx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:08 pm

malcolm wrote:Hi leafeaterx,
This is a poor error message on our part, and I'm not completely sure what's causing it.

Is it possible that the old license file is sitting around, and that's what it's pulling from? Check for any arrayfire.lic (or .arrayfire.lic) file lying around. (to search filesystem: "sh$ locate '*arrayfire.lic*'").

Do you have environment variables LM_LICENSE_FILE or LM_LICENSE_PATH in use for MATLAB or other Flex Licensed applications?

I did a locate for *arrayfire.lic* and *.lic* The only thing that turned up of relevance was a result of .libjacket.lic in my Users/leafeaterx/.libjacket.lic
However, when I go to this directory the file does not seem to exist, nor is it a hidden file as I used the "ls -a" command in the terminal. Note that before I tried ArrayFire I briefly tried libjacket, but never had time to do anything more than install it, as I was working on another project; thus, I'm unsure why the locate command finds this file, when I cannot when in the proper directory. Further, when I did the ArrayFire Pro trial I did not have issues with this supposed file, if it exists. Would ArrayFire even be looking for this license file anyway?

Regarding Matlab. I'm currently using a 15-day trial of Jacket 2.1 with Matlab 2012a (concurrent network license). I made a folder in the Applications directory for Jacket, and I used the set path to the "engine" folder as instructed to direct Matlab to the proper license file. With Matlab closed I receive this error (in the first post), and I have not done anything in the terminal regarding Jacket 2.1 for Matlab. Thus, to my knowledge, I have not altered either environment variables mentioned, explicitly. Thank you, and please let me know what else I can do to get further to the bottom of this. I appreciate your support.

-Leafeaterx
leafeaterx

Postby malcolm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi leafeaterx,

That's weird how it's pickingup some "ghost" libjacket license. We had that in there for backward compatibility, but since it's caused problems like this, I just went and disabled that check for the upcoming nightly builds.

Regardless, to get ArrayFire up and running now (since we don't exactly know what it's doing), set the LM_LICENSE_PATH="27000@server.accelereyes.com" environment variable either in your .bashrc or when running individual examples. Or augment those variables with our server if they're already defined.
Code: Select all
sh$ LM_LICENSE_PATH="27000@server.accelereyes.com" ./template

For Jacket, I'm not clear on what the error is at present. When you exit MATLAB (after a successful session), it throws some licensing error?
James Malcolm (malcolm@accelereyes.com)
malcolm

Postby leafeaterx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:38 pm

malcolm wrote:Hi leafeaterx,

That's weird how it's pickingup some "ghost" libjacket license. We had that in there for backward compatibility, but since it's caused problems like this, I just went and disabled that check for the upcoming nightly builds.

Regardless, to get ArrayFire up and running now (since we don't exactly know what it's doing), set the LM_LICENSE_PATH="27000@server.accelereyes.com" environment variable either in your .bashrc or when running individual examples. Or augment those variables with our server if they're already defined.

For Jacket, I'm not clear on what the error is at present. When you exit MATLAB (after a successful session), it throws some licensing error?

Thank you very much for your response on "forcing" the network license. First, let me apologize for the confusion regarding Jacket just ArrayFire, which now appears to be resolved as you'll read. I'm experiencing no errors there, i.e. Jacket. In your first response, I was asked this question regarding Matlab:

To which I addressed a response above. Jacket 2.1 (15-day trial) is working perfectly fine for me with Matlab 2012a.

I just downloaded (and have been doing so throughout this process) the latest nightly build of ArrayFire (4/13 - 362625a) to go with my Nvidia CUDA driver version 4.1.28, as I saw that this was the solution in another thread in this forum for ArrayFire with an Nvidia CUDA driver version 4.1.x.

After making/compiling the example "template" and executing the example "template" using the above instruction to "point" to the network license:

I now get the correct following output:
ArrayFire v1.0 (build 362625a) by AccelerEyes (64-bit Mac OSX)
License Type: Concurrent Network (27000@server.accelereyes.com)
Addons: none
CUDA toolkit 4.1
GPU0 GeForce 9600M GT, 512 MB, Compute 1.1 (single) (current)
GPU1 GeForce 9400M, 254 MB, Compute 1.1 (single)
Memory Usage: 280 MB free (512 MB total)

Thus, once again thank you very much for your time and aid in resolving the matter. Hopefully, this is the last installation problem I'll have, as things appear to operating properly.

Best,

Leafeaterx
leafeaterx

Return to [archive-commercial] Download & Installation