Alienware M17x CUDA

[Old posts from the commercial version of ArrayFire] Issues and comments for download and installation. Getting up and running.

Moderators: melonakos, pavanky

Alienware M17x CUDA

Postby melonakos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 pm

We just received the following question:

I am developing an audio application using CUDA/MATLAB on an Alienware M17x laptop. The laptop has 3 graphics chips: GeForce 9400 ("integrated graphics") and a pair of GeForce GTX260M. Normally, all three chips are active, but in power save mode, the 260M are powered down.

The confusing thing is, in power save mode GACTIVATE indicates that there is one CUDA-capable device (9400), but in normal (high performance) mode, it shows the two GTX260M, but not the 9400 as CUDA-capable devices (it shows one of the 260M as being in use the display device). Do you know if there's a way to configure Jacket to use both 260M for CUDA?

One other question: I have two versions of CUDA installed - 3.2 and 4.0RC. GACTIVATE is showing that I'm using CUDA toolkit 3.2. Is there a way to force it to use 4.0RC instead?

I've not played with this particular configuration so I don't really know. My hunches are:

1) The computer is configured to either use the 9400 OR to use the pair of 260Ms, but probably not configured to use all three simultaneously.

2) You CAN use the display device for CUDA too. So, there should be no problem with using both GTX260M with Jacket. And, if you're not running some heavy graphics stuff on the display device, you really won't notice a difference in compute degradation on the GPU that is connected to the display.

Hope this helps and good luck!

-John
John Melonakos (john@arrayfire.com)
melonakos

Return to [archive-commercial] Download & Installation